Saturday, September 10, 2011

Sweet Chocolate Waffles

 Hallo!

I just finished skyping Mom & Dad and it was the BEST. I love you both very, very much and it was SO GOOD to see your faces!

Let’s see…
I. Love. Bruges.
It’s the quaintest little town you ever did see. Hannah and I went on a run through the empty streets this morning to explore: we ran on cobblestones next to the canal winding through the town, past bakeries that smelled so delicious and cozy in the morning, through the Saturday morning flea market and up to the hotel for breakfast. Is there a better way to start a day?

We have no schedule here in Bruges, which was badly needed! We have art homework to catch up on and I’m going to be honest, sitting in our clean, peaceful apartment sipping tea and reading through The Story of Art is amazing. I actually enjoyed studying, it felt good to really think and not just gulp down more museum plaques; I was getting full.

One of the rooms of our apartment! How cute is this? Joanna and I are sharing the fold-out-of-the-cabinet bed shown here.


Speaking of food--for lunch we went back to the market and we got the smallest rotisserie chicken they had, some cheese, bread, vegetables and hummus. It turned into a thanksgiving-style spread (minus the hummus, maybe) and having protein and vegetables was so refreshing! Of course, later, when I needed a study break I walked to the small Markt Square to Chocolatier Dumon, a famous little chocolate shop. After eating this chocolate, Hershey’s could be brown crunchy stuff it was so good. It didn’t even taste like chocolate! It was smooth, rich but not too rich, flavorful but not overdone…sorry I can’t bring it home! After a dinner of lunch leftovers, we went to get some Belgian waffles for dessert, seeing as we’re in Belgium and all. Mine weighed about as much as me and was smothered in melty Nutella. Different from home waffles, they were crunchy on the outside, sugary and bready and buttery on the inside. I would almost get them without the nutella to taste their flavor by themselves!

Needless to say, I had a delightful food experience today.

My HUGE HUMUNGOUS man waffle that was delicious.

Bruges is made of a small net of cobble stone streets opening into large squares with cafes lining the borders and a fountain in the middle. Today they had horse and buggy rides for tourists and under our window we could hear them clop-cloppity by. Locals ride their bikes everywhere, even little 80-year-old grandmas wearing their adorable headscarves! The buildings that line the streets have at least three stories and some of them were built in the 1600s. The bell tower is right by our hotel, Hotel Aragon, and we can hear the bells chime melodies just about every half-hour, luckily they're beautiful and not like the one's Bren might remember from Italy... :)

One of the squares at night, I love the sky!

I’m learning about what it means to have time with Jesus while being with other people. Because we’re together 24-7 it’s hard to get alone time! I always forget that God is understanding and flexible, he knows our time is crazy (but awesome) and is just as available as he is any other time. There are a lot of people who really, really love Jesus on our trip and we have had some awesome conversations together. During those special conversations I hear enough truth that I could have the Bible in my hands and reading; it would be the same. I guess I’m learning a new, deeper understanding of “fellowship” (one of those vague Christian words): the spirit of Jesus in me and my friends speaking truth and love to each other while praising God for giving us everything and for who he is. Does any of that make sense? It’s new, and I have a lot to learn but I’m excited that I am learning and that God is bigger than the box I put him into. I don’t have to get him out and dust him off everyday, he’s just never been in it and chooses to be by me, no matter what’s going on, instead.

Me, Alex, and Alisha having expensive coffee, tea, and hot chocolate talking about God. This cafe is in the square shown in the first picture.


We need a place for our Vespers to be held, pray that God would provide somewhere!

I love you!

Kenz

1 comment:

  1. What a place! And so good to see your face too...keep up the outstanding posts. They're the next best thing to being there!! ( I do wish you could post some chocolate for us to taste)

    ReplyDelete