Friday, August 26, 2011

This, My Friend...

is Oxford!

I'm thriving here. There are buildings here from the 1600's. There are buildings here from the 1300's. Old stone architecture lines the cobblestone streets and coffeehouses boast about the year they were created (hundreds of years ago),  the modern shopping street is divided by an old graveyard. The atmosphere  of rich academia and secret beauty seeps from the history of this place---I'm not doing it justice. It's indescribable.

 Me, posing with the old door that leads into St. Edmunds. We have keys that get us into St. Edmund's library, chapel, and dorms! St. Edmund is very, very generous.
One of the many tucked-away gardens in our college area, this is next to our dorm building in the courtyard. :)

Needless to stay, I will come back here.

But what an opportunity we have as a study group staying in Oxford! We are staying in St. Edmund's Hall, one of the colleges that makes up the university. Guys and girls are separated into different dorms but out windows open up to each other over a courtyard. When we first got our keys and went up to our rooms we looked out the windows and discovered that, though we were separated, we could see each other. Two/three stories up, we flung open the windows and sat on the windowsills, waving and yelling and laughing and acting like complete idiots but it was fantastic. Already the group camaraderie is strong and we feel like family. I can't imagine what we'll be like in a few weeks time!

Hey! We know them!


Now we can say that we lived and studied at Oxford.

The first night we were here, last night, we went to The Eagle and Child tavern, the "watering hole" of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien. It was so amazing to think that these writers had sat in the very same place we were, plus, the food was very good. To embrace the England-ness I orders and "steak and vintage ale pie", and it was delicious. It also came with mash. Today I tried mushy peas. Why, oh why, is that the thing to eat in England? Why mushy peas? Why not normal, grown-up peas?


The Eagle and Child! (or, as they called it, "The Bird and Baby"
 Fish and Chips! The best we've had so far.


The only quote on the wall, but what a good one. Quite appropriate.

Today we had class and then went hunting for a good afternoon tea place. We found some, but we needed reservations so we made them for Sunday at 3! I'll keep you updated on how that goes :)

Today was very, very wet. It poured for about an hour two times, and both times I wished I had brought my good umbrella from home! Mom, you reminded me and I didn't listen. I can buy a crappy one here for 5 pounds or a good one for 12. I might have to break down and do it. On a happier note, I wore my ouchy leather shoes today, they got wet, and I think they finally stretched and formed to my feet! Toes crossed!

I'm feeling good, living out of a suitcase isn't as weird as I thought it would be, granted it's been what, 9 days? Some people are starting to wear on my nerves, I think it's sleep depravation, but everytime I ask God for patience and he, thankfully, gives me plenty and we're all friends again. :)

Tomorrow we're off to Salisbury and Stonehenge and maybe the Dover Castle? for a day trip. We'll miss dear Oxford but learn so many great things.

Good night! Enjoy the rest of your friday :)

I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment