Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Annunciation Lillies

Bonne Serra!

Today I am in Firenze! Or Florence, for us english speakers. It smells like wet cobblestones, leather, and cyprus trees! Well, maybe not the cyprus trees in the city, but I thought it sounded good so I added it anyway. Today we put off homework and went to the Uffizi and the Galleria dell 'Accademia. On our way to buy tickets we got caught in a rainstorm and it was thundering and pouring but so much fun! (Now, when I'm dry and warm at least :) ) I baught a three euro umbrella and a five euro scarf and they're probably the best things I've bought on the trip this far! I'm beginning to love annunciation paintings, or, for those who don't know, scenes depicting when the angel Gabriel came to Mary. I absolutely love this one by Botticelli, completed in 1490. The triangular composition characteristic of the Renaissance is clear, the three points made by Mary's halo, Gabriel's bent knee and Mary's cloaked feet. I love the colors, the gold detail in Mary's crown and dress is incredible! I don't know why Gabriel is kneeling, it almost looks like he just landed in the room, his hand raised to calm Mary from his unexpected entrance. Sometimes I think Mary can look a little vague, and while her expression is demure in this scene, her face is sweet and she looks like a real girl. I love it, I hope you do too!


It's time for group dinner! Fingers crossed for raviolli, it's always too expensive for me to buy on my own!!

I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment